Director of the Student Enrichment Center
Associate to Student Enrichment
Student Enrichment Center
Wingate Cain, Director: 828-652-0632
Susan Long, Associate to Student Enrichment Center: 828-659-0418
The Student Enrichment Center provides a variety of testing, counseling and student support services. These include: Placement Testing and Career Assessments to explore student interests and aptitudes, Career Counseling Services, Tutorial Assistance Services and Support Services for Students with Disabilities (including students with learning disabilities) as well as coordination of Veteran's Educational Benefits.
All Student Enrichment Center services are free to the MTCC student. Walk-ins are accepted; however, appointments are encouraged to guarantee the student these services in a timely manner.
In order to guarantee high program standards and student success, it is important that the academic abilities of students be equal to program entrance requirements. The "open door" policy allows all students the opportunity to further their education; however, program entrance requirements must be met.
Do I need to take a placement test?
The placement test or sections of the placement test may be waived if you:
• Submit official ASSET, ACCUPLACER or COMPASS scores taken at another institution within the last 5 years.
• Submit an official transcript showing completion of college level English or Math with a grade of 'C' or better from an accredited college or university. Approval contingent upon MTCC administrative review.
• Submit official proof of SAT Critical Reading and Writing scores of 500 and above (Pre-March 2016), or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 480 and above (March 2016 and future), or an ACT Reading score of 22 and above and an ACT English score of 18 or above. Scores must be from test(s) taken within the last five years.
• Submit an official proof of SAT Math score of 500 and above (Pre-March 2016), or SAT Mathematics score of 530 and above (March 2016 and future) or ACT Math score of 22 or above to waive the math portions of the placement test. Scores must be from test(s) taken within the last five years.
• Register as a Special Credit Student (not seeking a degree, diploma or certificate) and register for classes other than Math or English or ones that do not require Math or English as prerequisites.
• Submit NC High School transcript (beginning with the Class of 2013) meeting requirements in the NCCCS Multiple Measures Policy.
*See specific programs for any exemptions.
Who do I contact to schedule a placement test?
To schedule a placement test, please visit or call the Student Enrichment Center at 828-659-0418 or 828-652-0632.
What do I need to bring with me to take a test?
*Government issued photo identification is required for you to take the test. Examples of acceptable forms of identification include driver's license, driver's permit, state identification card or military identification.
*School issued Student ID number is required to take the ACCUPLACER test (In order for a student ID number to be generated the student must submit an application to Student Services).
What can I do to prepare for the placement test?
|Sample questions and study guides are available for free online||Click Here|
|ACCUPLACER NC Communuty College System Diagnostic and Placement Test Math and English Sample Questions|
|For additional information about Writeplacer Guide with Sample Essays||Click Here|
|For COMPASS Reading test only||Click Here|
|Additional ACCUPLACER and COMPASS practice testing available through the Learning Express Library||Click Here|
If you do not have access to the Internet, visit the Student Enrichment Center and pick up printed study guides.
Where is the Student Enrichment Center?
The Student Enrichment Center is located in Building 11 (Administration Building) in the rear upper level of the library.
I need special testing accommodations due to a documented disability. How do I receive special accommodations for the placement test? Contact Wingate Cain at 828-652-0632 before scheduling your placement test.