Click & Learn More
Basic Law Enforcement Training
McDowell Technical Community College offers two Basic Law Enforcement Training programs that provide a schedule for anyone meeting the requirements to attend. The programs cover a wide variety of law enforcement training in 624 hours. The program is para-military structured. It is a very rigorous and demanding course both academically and physically. Candidates planning to attend should begin a physical training regiment prior to attending (see a doctor for advice regarding the right physical training regiment for you). Upon successful completion of all required instruction and testing, the candidate will be administered a comprehensive state exam by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
• Candidate must be 20 years of age upon entry into the program or be
19 years of age at the time of entry, be 20 years of age at the completion of the course, and
have permission from the School Director and Director Criminal Justice Education and
Training Standards Commission.
• Candidate must have successfully completed high school or a GED program.
• Candidate must score at least a 10th grade level on a reading placement test.
• Candidate can not have been convicted of any felony (anytime) or class B misdemeanor in the last five years.
• Candidate must be in good physical condition.
• Candidate must be a US Citizen.
Steps and Forms:
1. Contact Director Stacy Buff at 828-652-0663 to set up an appointment for an initial interview.
2. Complete a McDowell Technical Community College Application.
3. Complete a McDowell Technical Community College Registration Data Sheet
4. Take a Reading Placement Test at McDowell Technical Community College. Contact Belinda Foster at 828-652-0683.
5. Complete the F-3 Personal History Statement and sign in front of a notary public.
6. Make a photocopy of your Driver's License.
7. Make a photocopy of your high school diploma.
8. Obtain an official sealed copy of your high school transcripts.
9. Make a photocopy of your birth certificate.
10. Obtain a certified copy of your criminal records history from every county clerk of court where you have lived since age 16.
11. Candidates with any military service will need to provide a copy of their military separation form DD214.
12. Complete the McDowell Technical Community College Basic Law Enforcement Training Sponsorship Manual. Candidates with a sponsorship from a Law Enforcement Agency are considered tuition free. Candidates without law enforcement sponsorship will be required to pay tuition.
13. Complete the Medical History Statement having the physician review and sign the form.
14. Obtain a physical examination from a licensed medical practitioner utilizing the Medical Examination Report.
15. Turn in all required items to Director Stacy Buff.
The average total cost of Basic Law Enforcement Training to a sponsored candidate is $850.00.
The total includes books, uniforms, activity fees, student insurance, etc. FINANCIAL AID IS
AVAILABLE TO THOSE MEETING SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
REGARDING FINANCIAL AID CONTACT KIM LEDBETTER AT 828-652-0602
Schedule of Basic Law Enforcement Training Classes:
Full-time Day Program
Begins: January 7, 2013
Ends: May 11, 2013 Graduation
Part-time Night Program
Begins: August 20, 2012
Ends: May 11, 2013
- back to Law Enforcement Page -
(Some files require Acrobat Reader, click image to download & install.)